Weta Digital




The Studio: Weta Digital 

 

New Zealand's bride Weta Digital has produced some of the most believable characters in film history and thus I want to discuss how their character creation and animation have influenced me as an artist.

There are no spoilers (if you don't count the fact that I say Gollum does an appearance in The Hobbit) in this post so carry on without worry.




Gollum 

(The LoTR trilogy and The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey)

 

 


Gollum is one of the best CG characters ever created and the detail and believability of his movements and facial expressions is phenomenal. Most of his facial animation is hand-keyed which may come as a surprise to majority because all the credit of the performance is often credited to Andy Serkis. I'm not trying to diminish his part in Gollum's creation but underline that some of the greatest scenes with Gollum had much more hand-keying that you'd think and all the credit for those go to the incredibly talented animators. 
                For example the most memorable scene from LoTR where Gollum talks to himself - the final version of the shot is often shown next to Andy's performance and people don't realise it was down to an animator, whose name I unfortunately cannot recall right now, to interpret all Andy's subtle facial expressions and animate them onto Gollum. The following is the best ever scene of Gollum in my opinion and I bet it involves a lot of keyframe animation as the studio said that they had to add a lot of extra eye darts to keep Gollum real and believable - the riddle scene from The Hobbit:






Caesar 

(Rise of The Planet of The Apes and Dawn of The Planet of The Apes)



Caesar is my favourite CG character created for VFX films to this day. No wonder he is as amazing as Gollum - Weta is behind both of them! I'm very excited to see how far Weta has pushed their animation and mocap since The Rise of The Planet of The Apes. I was slightly disappointed with the trailer of Dawn of The Planet of The Apes but only after the film I can say my final thoughts.

Until then stay tooned, stare at awesome animations and animate life into characters!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © / Inspirations

Template by Urang-kurai / Edited by Suvi Jokiniemi / Powered by Blogger